2020 APA CALIFORNIA ELECTION NOMINATION PROCEDURES
APA California’s Nominating Committee is pleased to consider you as a candidate for election to the Board of Directors. The information below outlines the election process and steps to submit your candidacy. Positions open during this election are Vice President for Conferences, Vice President for Policy & Legislation, Vice President for Professional Development, and Commission & Board Representative. A list of duties for each position can be found here. All newly elected officers will take office on January 1, 2021 and serve two-year terms through December 31, 2022.
If you are interested in being considered for one of these positions, please read the nomination procedures below. If you have questions about the process, please contact Ashley Atkinson, AICP, California Chapter President Elect, email@example.com.
APA members from across the California Chapter are encouraged to apply. You must have been a member for at least one year upon the date you would assume office if elected. Individual positions have specific eligibility requirements as follows:
- Vice President for Professional Development: AICP membership is required.
- Commission & Board Representative: Must be a member of a public Board or Commission within the State of California.
After the deadline, the Nominating Committee will evaluate applications received to identify those who meet the highest standards of leadership ability, integrity, judgment, competence, and personal commitment. Two candidates will be nominated for each position, unless only one qualified application is received for a position. Additional criteria considered by the Committee is listed in the “APA California Election Policies and Procedures,” in Section 1.1.3.
The following materials must be returned to Ashley Atkinson, AICP, APA California President-Elect, by Monday, April 13, 2020 to be considered by the Nominating Committee. Please e-mail your packet to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If the nominating committee determines that it requires information or materials in addition to that submitted, it will contact you. Unsolicited additional materials and phone calls to nominating committee members are strictly prohibited.
- Background & Position Statement (Appendix 1 to the Policies and Procedures): A 600-word statement prepared in accordance with the guidelines. Please note that if you are nominated, this statement will be published on our website and disseminated with the electronic ballot. You are encouraged to focus your position statement on issues and ideas affecting the future of the organization, and may find it helpful to refer to the APA California Strategic Plan.
- Eligibility Form (Appendix 2 to Policies and Procedures)
- Agreement to Abide Form (Appendix 3 to Policies and Procedures)
- Commitment to Serve Statement (Appendix 4 to Policies and Procedures)
- Photograph (optional): Candidates may submit a recent photograph to be published with the position statement. Please refer to Section 4.2 for details.
You will be notified of the Nominating Committee’s decision by Monday, April 20. If you are not selected by the Nominating Committee, you may seek to become a candidate by petition. Information regarding the election petition process will be posted on the web site in April. See Section 3.0 in the Policies and Procedures for details.
- April 13: Deadline for potential candidates to submit applications
- April 20: Nominated candidates notified of selection to appear on the ballot
- April 24: Deadline for APA California to submit candidate names to APA National
- July 1-August 14: Voting open online
- August 20: Election results certified and distributed to Chapter
- September 1: Candidates notified and election results announced
- January 1, 2021: Successful candidates begin term of office