Land Use, Urban Design
City of San Marcos
Job DescriptionThe City of San Marcos is currently recruiting for a qualified Associate Planner to join the Planning Division of the Development Services Department. This is an exciting time to be a part of the City of San Marcos which is historically one of the fastest growing cities in San Diego County. The Planning Division is part of purposefully shaping this emerging community and you will help guide this legacy. The City of San Marcos is currently undertaking a number of new and exciting projects, which the Planning Division is helping to accomplish. Come join and lead the team during this impactful time:
- We are currently working on an update to the City’s General Plan. San Marcos has experienced rapid growth, while maintaining our small-town atmosphere and values. The General Plan Update will address a range of important community topics like land use, housing, economic development, transportation, parks and recreation, community health, public safety, environmental justice, and more.
- Related to the General Plan Update, City staff is in the process of initiating a comprehensive update to the San Marcos Creek Specific Plan (SMCSP). The SMCSP parallels San Marcos Boulevard and encompasses the San Marcos Creek. The area will provide additional housing, shopping and recreational opportunities for the region.
- The City is processing a number of entitlements within the University District Specific Plan (UDSP) Area. The UDSP was adopted in 2009 with the intent of creating a vibrant, urban, and pedestrian friendly downtown area centrally located within San Marcos adjacent to Cal State University San Marcos.
- The City is currently processing several entitlements throughout the City including a number of infill developments for higher density housing, and various civic, commercial and industrial discretionary permits.
- The Planning Division is also implementing various Sustainability focused initiatives to implement its Climate Action Plan. These include efforts such as adoption and implementation of Transportation Demand Management Ordinance, and administering EV chargers Rebate Program among others.
- Earn a competitive salary,
- Our 9/80 work week means you'll have every other Friday off.
- Eligible for the City's remote work policy after successful completion of probationary period.
- Generous health benefits for you and your family (all medical premiums employer paid at 90%, including family plans). Benefits effective the first of the month after hire date.
- Ample time off: 13 paid holidays, 96 hours of sick leave and beginning at 80 hours of vacation leave annually.
- Family focused benefits - 4 weeks of city paid maternity / paternity leave for new parents welcoming a new family member and 1 week of city paid grandparent leave for employees expanding their extended family.
- Participate in the CalPERS retirement system (Classic members 2% @ 55, New members 2% @ 62), and Social Security.
- Enhance your career by taking advantage of our Tuition Reimbursement Program - up to $1,500 per fiscal year which can also be used towards student loan repayment.
Required Skills / Experience / EducationAny combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be: Education/Training A Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban planning, community development, geography, public administration, or a related field. A Master’s degree is highly desirable. Experience Three years of increasingly responsible city or regional planning experience at a level comparable to an Assistant Planner with the City. LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE Possession of an appropriate, valid driver’s license with satisfactory driving record.
US Citizenship Required?
Will security clearance be required?
$74,304.23 - $96,950.14 Annually
Job Start Date
Primary Language Required
1 CIVIC CENTER DR.
SAN MARCOS, California
Hiring Contact Name