Environmental, Land Use, Urban Design
City of Carmel-by-the-Sea
Job DescriptionThe Opportunity: The City of Carmel-by-the Sea is recruiting for a Planner at the Assistant or Associate level to perform professional planning duties in current and advanced planning. In this role, you will be responsible for protecting the authentic and unique architectural character of the Village by processing development applications for remodels and new construction. You will also research, introduce and update land use policies that help preserve the City’s character and quality of life as well as shape future development in an equitable and sustainable way. The City will select the candidate with the best combination of work experience, qualifications and alignment with the City’s values. The Assistant Planner, under direct supervision, will:
- Prepare analyses of residential development projects to ensure compatibility with the City’s General Plan, local Coastal Program, Municipal Code and Residential Design Guidelines, which emphasize protecting the City’s character;
- Prepare and present reports, and recommendations, for and to the Planning Commission, City Council, and other boards and commissions;
- Perform necessary research and assist with reports for Municipal Code amendments, and other advanced planning projects and plans;
- Respond to public inquiries at the counter, by phone and email;
- Prepare and process documents pursuant to the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA), and;
- Assist in continuously improving development review and administrative procedures to facilitate efficient project review, and a high level of customer service.
- The duties described above under Assistant Planner, with a greater degree of complexity and autonomy.
Required Skills / Experience / EducationTypical Qualifications The ideal candidate for the Assistant/Associate Planner position is an individual who values customer service, and has an interest in both current and advanced planning. The ideal candidate will bring collaborative, team-centered qualities to the Department; be self-motivated, detail-oriented, and self-assured with the ability to exercise a high degree of common sense and sound judgment. The candidate will possess: Knowledge of planning and zoning functions and California State laws, CEQA, architectural and site design review. Effective communication skills with all project members, including contractors, architects, special consultants, applicants, and coworkers; Effective presentation skills; Basic to advanced computer skills (GIS skills are also desirable); and, A proven ability to navigate land use conflicts. Education and Work Experience Assistant Planner: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in urban planning, environmental planning, public or business administration or a related field, and one year of professional planning experience. A Master’s degree in planning or related field is desirable. Associate Planner: A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in urban planning, environmental planning, public or business administration or a related field, and three (3) years of professional planning experience. A Master’s degree in planning or related field is desirable.
US Citizenship Required?
Will security clearance be required?
$72,904.00 - $101,816.00 Annually
Other BenefitsThe City offers competitive salaries and benefit packages, including participation in the California Public Employees Retirement System (Cal PERS); health, dental, and vision insurance; and leave. The annual salary range for the Assistant Planner is $72,904-$91,309.09, and for the Associate Planner is $83,740.80-$101,816.
Job Start Date
Primary Language Required
City of Carmel-by-the-Sea City Hall
Monte Verde Street between Ocean and 7th
Hiring Contact Name