SWCA Environmental Consultants
Job DescriptionAbout the opportunity SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking a self-motivated Lead Environmental Planner - Renewables and Transmission with strong interpersonal skills and experience in permitting and project management to join our team and primarily support renewable energy projects. This is a strategic growth opportunity for the right candidate to help grow our renewables services. Projects will include offshore and onshore renewable energy projects to support our renewable energy practice. This individual will work with a dynamic and company-wide team to successfully drive energy projects throughout all phases, from early planning and permitting through construction. This position will be associated with our Pasadena, CA office, and may be worked remotely. The successful candidate will have technical expertise and experience in energy facility siting and constraints studies, permitting, NEPA and CEQA compliance, and agency interactions at all levels. Required skills include the ability to manage large, complex projects and meet milestones within schedule and budget expectations, as well as providing quality assurance and quality control (QA/QC) oversight. The candidate will be experienced in managing multidisciplinary staff to complete project permitting requirements. Attention to detail, strong communication skills, and the ability to work directly with clients is imperative. Interest in pursuing new business is also desirable. This is a regular status, full-time, salaried position. SWCA Purpose: Our company purpose is to preserve natural and cultural resources for tomorrow while enabling projects that benefit people today. You are invited to be a part of our success story. We are 100% employee owned, and we build our success together. It is imperative for the successful candidate to fit SWCA's unique culture. Do you appreciate sustainability and environmental awareness? Is giving back to your community a priority? If so, SWCA’s culture could be a fit for you. SWCA is a team of scientists, planners, technical experts, and corporate services professionals who are committed to our culture. What you will accomplish
- Lead, oversee, and execute the management of permitting efforts for renewable energy (e.g, solar, battery storage, onshore and offshore wind, hydrogen) projects of all sizes and levels of complexity.
- Work closely with project teams to navigate permitting challenges and meet client needs.
- Take initiative and resolve issues to assure client needs are met effectively.
- Lead and advise on the development of permitting strategies, provide QA/QC of work processes and deliverables, and lead teams completing technical studies that support permitting efforts.
- Manage projects that include NEPA/CEQA compliance, biological resource assessments and constraints analyses, routing and siting, state and federal Endangered Species Act consultations, Clean Water Act Section 404 and Section 401 permitting, and cultural resources studies.
- Ensure that renewable energy projects meet quality, schedule, and budget objectives.
- Manage project expectations while delegating and managing deliverables with key team members and stakeholders.
- Supervise, mentor, and provide project technical support to junior staff.
- Work with SWCA’s project controls department to review invoices, expenditures, and project audits for projects and tasks.
- Work closely with SWCA’s resource scientists, environmental planners, managers, and directors in both natural and cultural resources groups throughout the company to promote SWCA’s business interests in adherence to its mission, vision, and values.
- Implement and administer SWCA’s safety procedures and standards of scientific and professional ethics.
- Support business line growth by contributing to business development pursuits and proposals.
- Mentor early and mid-career staff in the development of the skills in NEPA/CEQA analysis and document preparation.
- Demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills; interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence; attention to detail; and organization.
- Manage complex projects in diverse settings and with changing requirements.
- Working in a fast-paced work environment and desire to work in a highly collaborative team atmosphere.
Required Skills / Experience / EducationExperience and qualifications for success Bachelor’s degree in planning, biology, environmental science, natural resources management, archaeology, anthropology, geology, or a related field. Experience normally obtained with at least eight (8) years of combined experience in environmental consulting, project management, planning, permitting, and/or technical studies. Three (3) or more years of experience managing renewable energy projects. Candidate should have an extensive working knowledge of federal (e.g., NEPA, CEQA, Clean Water Act, and Endangered Species Act [ESA]) and state laws governing natural resources management. Demonstrated experience with renewable energy and transmission projects and with federal agencies (such as the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers, U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service), state agencies and local agencies. Experience with Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM). Experience managing construction compliance projects. Experience with supervising staff and managing project teams. Prior project management skills: scheduling and budget management skills. Experience with business development with renewable energy developers that seek permits or leases from federal or state agencies.
US Citizenship Required?
Will security clearance be required?
Other BenefitsAdditional Information: Ability to travel 10% of the time for projects SWCA Environmental Consultants is an established and flourishing environmental firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental compliance services. SWCA is an employee-owned company composed of environmental professionals who specialize in natural and cultural resource management, environmental planning, and regulatory compliance. With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the largest environmental compliance companies and consistently ranks among Engineering News-Record’s Top 200 Environmental Firms. We offer a team-oriented work environment, and a competitive compensation and benefits package, including an employee stock ownership plan (retirement) for full-time, regular employees. Some benefits are also available to on-call, temporary or part-time employees. If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the online application process due to a disability, please email [email protected] or call 480-581-5378. This contact information is for disability accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a response. EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans are encouraged to apply SWCA is committed to salary equity and salary transparency for all its employees. In alignment with this commitment, SWCA posts good faith pay ranges in all its advertised job postings to promote pay equity and transparency. An employee in this Pasadena, CA based position can expect a salary of $90,090.00-$115,830.00/year. Actual pay within this range may depend on experience, qualifications, geographic location, client requirements where applicable, and other factors permitted by law. Regular-status employees are also eligible for performance bonuses. Candidates are also encouraged to consider SWCA’s Total Rewards package, which includes a competitive Benefits package, forward-thinking workplace flexibility, outstanding corporate culture, award-winning career development, and more. Employees in this position are eligible for consideration for SWCA’s bonus program, which provides awards based on individual and organizational performance. #IND-USA #LI-AO1
Job Start Date
Primary Language Required
Hiring Contact Name