City of Lancaster
Department: Community Development
EEO Category: 1.2 First/Mid-Level Officials and Managers
Annual Salary Range: $116,759.64 – $155,679.48
Closing Date: 09/26/2023 at 9:00 pm PST
General Summary: The Planning Manager supervises and participates in advanced, highly-complex professional planning activities under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Planning and Permitting. The position provides highly responsible management support in the planning, analysis, coordination, and operation of programs and activities; and supervises assigned staff. Task may include:
- Assists in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, and priorities of the Community Development department of the City to ensure maximum effectiveness and efficiency
- Performs and manages complex and sensitive professional planning projects, research and analysis Monitors and ensures compliance with local, state and federal laws including the Subdivision Act and the California Environmental Quality Act
- Oversees specialized planning functions such as large-scale new development proposals and environmental studies Provides overall management of division-related planning issues
- Plans, organizes, directs, and evaluates the performance of staff; establishes performance requirements and personal development targets; regularly monitors performance and provides coaching for performance improvement and development; makes decisions to recognize performance; takes disciplinary action, up to and including termination, to address performance deficiencies, in accordance with the City’s personnel rules and policies.
- Recommend staffing levels, select, train supervise, and establish performance requirements for permanent and part-time staff
- Provides day-to-day leadership and works with staff to ensure a high-performance, customer service-oriented work environment that supports achieving City and departmental mission, objectives, and service standards
- Serves as liaison and performs all necessary functions in support of the City’s Planning Commission
- Applies best practices and quality assurance processes to assigned areas of responsibility
- Enforces the maintenance of safe working conditions and ensures safe work practices are followed by staff
- Provides leadership to ensure a fair and open work environment in accordance with the City’s commitment to equal employment opportunity
Typical Knowledge: The Planning Manager will be a seasoned professional with an expansive background and knowledge of the following:
- Urban planning and development and local government policies and procedures
- Thorough knowledge of land use planning/zoning, transportation planning, environmental planning, urban design, housing, and economic development
- Research methods and statistical principles related to urban growth and development
- Methods and techniques of effective technical report preparation and presentation
- Pertinent federal, state, and local laws, codes, and regulations including the Subdivision Map Act and the California Environment Quality Act (CEQA)
- Principles and practices of supervision, training, and personnel management
- Recent developments, current literature, and sources of information related to municipal planning and administration.
- Knowledge of local government procedures and practices
- GIS programs and applications such as Acela
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in urban studies, planning, public administration, or related fields
- Master’s degree highly preferred
- Three (3) years of experience with some supervisory experience
- Problem Solving – Analytically and logically evaluating information
- Learning Agility – Seeking learning opportunities and applying the lessons to work
- Handling Stress – Maintaining emotional stability and self-control under pressure, challenge, or adversity
- Professional Integrity & Ethics – Displaying honesty, adherence to principles, and personal accountability
- Safety Focus – Showing Vigilance and care in identifying and addressing health risks and safety hazards
- Customer Focus – Attending to the Needs and expectations of customers
- Informing – Proactively obtaining and sharing information
- Teamwork – Collaborating with others to achieve shared goals
- Valuing Diversity – Appreciating the benefits of varied backgrounds and cultures in the workplace
- Allocating Resources – Prioritizing the use of fiscal and material resources to maximize organizational effectiveness
- Put people first.
- Be visionary.
- Be an ambassador for Lancaster.
- Be Fiscally Responsible.
- Be Creative.
- Always Improving.
- Be Adaptable and Resilient.
Essential Physical Requirements:
- Ascend/Descend stairs/ladders/balance (moderate)
- Position self to bend or twist (frequent)
- To move, transport, position items up to 15 lbs. (frequent)
- Exposed to outdoor weather conditions (infrequent)
- Operate Equipment (none)
- Stationary or squatting position (frequent)
- Work under time pressure (moderate to frequent)
- Interruptions (frequent)
Essential Cognitive Functions:
- Analyze (continuous)
- Computations (frequent)
- Generate Written Work Product (moderate)
- Independent Problem Solving (continuous)
- Interruptions (frequent)
- Maintain Positive Public Relations (continuous)
- Organize (frequent)
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time;
The City of Lancaster will consider qualified applicants with a criminal history pursuant to the California Fair Chance Act. You do not need to disclose your criminal history or participate in a background check until a conditional job offer is made to you. After making a conditional offer and running a background check, if the City of Lancaster is concerned about conviction that is directly related to the job, you will be given the chance to explain the circumstances surrounding the conviction, provide mitigating evidence, or challenge the accuracy of the background report. Find out more about the Fair Chance Act by visiting www.dfeh.ca.gov/fair-chance-act/.
US Citizenship Required?
Will security clearance be required?
Annual Salary Range: $116,759.64 - $155,679.48
Job Start Date
Primary Language Required
44933 Fern Ave
Hiring Contact Name