The Department and Position
The City of Oakley is hiring a full-time Planning Technician to assist with a wide variety of functions including technical planning work, code compliance, and administrative support functions. Under direction from supervisory staff, the incumbent would assist the public on matters related to planning, zoning, and code regulations. This position will also work with the Economic Development and Code Enforcement Divisions by providing administrative support.
· Advise and assist the public, including developers, property owners, and city departments with routine matters related to zoning regulations and permit procedures.
· Review architectural plans for compliance with zoning regulations.
· Review and process variance, conditional use permits, home occupation permits, and other applications submitted for zoning approval.
· Update and prepare maps, charts, graphics, and computer files to reflect changes in the General Plan, zoning regulations, and application statuses.
· Maintain map books, history files, and other reference materials.
· Collect, document, and interpret data pertaining to physical, social, and economic characteristics of the City.
· Complete assigned fieldwork, including site reviews for current applications or review of approved development sites to ensure compliance with conditions of approval.
· Perform routine office tasks in designated program areas, including data entry, file management, copying, and answering the telephone.
· Respond to questions and concerns from the general public; provide information as is appropriate and resolve service complaints.
· Perform related duties as required.
Position Title: Planning Technician
Position Reports To: Planning Manager
Education and Training
Any combination of education and experience that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
Education/Training: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree in planning public administration, architecture, or closely related field.
Experience: Two years of responsible zoning and administration or related experience in a municipal planning department. Experience in a public agency setting is desirable. Possession of a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in urban or regional planning, public administration, architecture or a related field can substitute the required experience.
License/Certificate: Possession of, or ability to obtain, a valid class C California driver’s license. Possess and maintain proof of auto liability insurance.
US Citizenship: no
Security Clearance: no
Salary Range: The hourly rate of pay is $27.55 to $33.99. Depending on Experience.
Other Benefits: In addition to the salary, the City offers an excellent benefits package that includes: - The City offers Kaiser plans with the City currently providing $1,535 per month toward the premium for health insurance coverage. (If employee has existing coverage, the City will provide cash in lieu up to $400). Dental and Vision coverage for employee and family is paid for by the City. - The City participates in the CalPERS Retirement System and two different deferred compensation plans available (457 and 401a) - Vacation – Accrual of 80 hours per year initially and incrementally increasing up to 160 hours per year at 15 years of service - Holidays – 12 scheduled and 2 floating - Sick Leave— 12 days accrued each year - Life insurance in the amount of $50,000 - Long Term Disability – City paid plans - Flexible Spending Account – Tax deferred options for dependent care, health care, and premiums
Start Date: May 13, 2019
Position Type: Permanent
Name: City of Oakley
Address: 3231 Main Street OAKLEY CA 94561
Industry: Local Government
Job Reference Code: