How To Apply
Chapter-Only membership dues is $125.00 per year.
To apply for Chapter-Only membership sign up through our website or you can download a printable application.
Mail Payments to APA California, PO Box 171171, Boise, ID 83717.
Your dues are not tax deductible as a charitable contribution but may be considered as a business expense. However, 38% of the Chapter Only dues are allocated to Chapter lobbying costs and are not deductible as a business expense.
NOTE: Visa and MasterCard are the only credit cards accepted for payment by APA California.
The American Planning Association, California Chapter provides the opportunity for anyone interested in California planning activities to join as a Chapter-Only member.
APA California is a 6,000-member organization of planners from all sectors of the state. Chapter-Only membership provides a unique opportunity to interact with planners in your community and the state and utilize a number of benefits.
The American Planning Association, California Chapter links planners statewide, nationwide, regionally and locally through the American Planning Association. Through this linkage, members:
- Stay current in the Planning field: We’ll keep you at the top of your game with state-of-the art knowledge in planning. Advance your professional expertise through local and state planning workshops and events, the annual state and national planning conferences, and ultimately AICP certification.
- Make a difference in Sacramento: Unite with other planners through one powerful voice by introducing and influencing legislation to shape planning in California through APA’s Legislative Program. Sande George, our professional lobbyist, has been very effective in bringing APA California’s planning expertise to the Capitol, guided by the APA Legislative Platform, Plan California, and best planning principles.
- Network with other planners: You’re not in this alone. Other planners across the nation, state, and in your local area share the same planning issues as you. Don’t reinvent the wheel. Find out how others are dealing with your challenges and share your success stories. Ask a question on National APA’s “Urban Scrawl.” Make new friends who share your interest in planning. Employers are looking for smart APA members at APA conferences, APA local events and with advertisements on our website and in Cal Planner.
APA California was chartered in 1978 and currently has over 6,000 members including practicing planners, elected and appointed officials, academicians, citizens who care about planning and students. The Chapter is lead by an elected state board, appointed Board members, and section officers.
Much of APA California’s activity is coordinated at the local Section level to develop local planning expertise based on national and statewide planning experience but adapted to be most effective in each unique local Section.
Don’t be left out. Join APA now to get plugged in and to stay current in your profession. Know what’s going on in planning nationally, in California, in your region and locally. Let your current employer know you take your job seriously. Most consultant firms and numerous planning agencies prefer and often require AICP-qualified planners.
Chapter-Only Benefits & Restrictions
As a Chapter-Only member, you will be entitled to:
- All Chapter and Section publications, including the CalPlanner and weekly eNews and Announcements.
- A discount at the annual APA California state conference.
- The opportunity to participate on the APA California Legislative Review Teams.
- Membership in the California Planning Foundation (CPF).
- The ability to vote in California APA elections.
As a Chapter-Only member, you will not be entitled to:
- National APA publications.
- Other National APA services, such as legislative representation in Washington.
- Group rates on insurance, and JobMart services.
- Eligibility as members of the American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP).
- A discount at the National APA Conference.
- The ability to vote in National APA elections.
National APA Membership
To apply for National APA membership please visit Planning.org.
If you’ve never before been a member of APA, or are within one year of the lapse of your student membership, take advantage of our introductory rate and all our association offers.
United States residents new to the American Planning Association can join APA at a savings of up to 85 percent a year, for up to two years. You will soon discover that APA is your essential professional organization.
Pay Your Dues Monthly (APA California with National APA Membership)
Did you know that as a National APA Member you can pay your dues monthly instead of in one lump annual sum? Called the Dues Installment Program, this is an excellent option for any member who would like to enjoy a low monthly dues payment. To find out how you can pay your dues on a monthly basis, download the application form for the Dues Installment Program.
If you have questions about membership, please e-mail [email protected].