National APA and APA California provide a number of services geared to the needs and interests of students.
The California Planning Foundation (CPF) is excited to announce the application form for the 2021 CPF scholarships is now online. Over 40 scholarships are available to students entering their final year of eligible planning programs, at both accredited and non-accredited programs. The application and all required materials must be submitted no later than Monday, May 31, 2021. Visit the CPF website for details.
Interested and Need Advice?
Missed the CPF scholarship webinar? Watch the video and apply by May 31!
View this informational webinar with more information on the scholarships and helpful tips on how to apply that took place on Monday, May 3, 2021.
Get Great Deals
National APA knows students’ finances are tight. Student members receive all the benefits of regular APA membership — the flagship magazine Planning, Interact, discounts on APA books and reports — and more. Student members also get:
- Career Services. Attend Career Reality Webinars and get expert strategies, tactics, and tips at APA’s Career Center. Help prospective employers find you by completing your My APA Profile. Use APA/AICP’s salary survey and calculator to project your earning potential.
- Information. APA resources open windows into today’s planning practice. Student members get free online subscriptions to Planning, the Journal of the American Planning Association, and Zoning Practices as well as all current and archived Planning Advisory Service publications. Access APA’s Research KnowledgeBase.
- Connections. Network with fellow students, practicing planners, and professionals in related fields. Find a mentor. Connect with local planners and leaders in your chapter. Join others who share your planning passion in an APA division. Meet planners from all over the world at the National Planning Conference.
- Recognition. Earn APA, APA chapter, or division honors.
- Leadership. Build your reputation as a volunteer leader. Get elected to the Student Representatives Council.
- Out-of-class learning. Learn the latest at the National Planning Conference and other in-person and online events.
- Promote planning. Your membership will strengthen APA’s advocacy for good planning and essential planning. On a personal level, APA’s communication tools, training, organization, and access will help you become an effective advocate able to craft and deliver positive messages about planning to key audiences.
Kickstart Your Planning Career With APA for Free!
It’s easier and more affordable than ever for students and new planners to get started in APA. In fact, membership is now free for any student actively enrolled or matriculated in any university or college degree program. It remains free for the duration of an individual’s studies. “Free” includes APA, APA chapter, and AICP membership as well as membership in up to five APA divisions. Student members will be eligible for two years of reduced dues after ending their studies.
With free membership and lots of benefits, the American Planning Association is where you belong!
APA partners with many university programs to bring APA membership and its benefits to their students. Some on the list participate in a group enrollment program. Please contact the University Program Administrator or APA at [email protected] if you have any questions.
Student Track at State Conference
APA California now features at its annual conference an entire day of programs geared to the needs and interests of students.
California Student Scholarships
The California Planning Foundation (CPF) is a nonprofit, charitable corporation established to further the professional practice of planning in California. CPF achieves this goal through its primary activity of scholarships and awards to university students in financial need, who have demonstrated academic excellence at programs approved by the Planning Accreditation Board.
A secondary, but vitally important CPF activity is the sponsorship of workshops, publications and other continuing educational and professional development programs. CPF promotes the objectives of equal opportunity and social equity in all programs supported by contributions to CPF and fund-raising activities.
To further its mission to provide continuing education for practicing planning professionals, CPF periodically sponsors workshops on topical issues. All revenue from registration fees in excess of nominal workshop expenses goes to the Foundation’s scholarship endowment.