Chapter and Section Advocacy Guidance
Advocacy Guidance for Chapter Members and Local Sections
APA California has a robust legislative program at the Chapter level that engages with the California Legislature. The Chapter Board adopts a Legislative Platform prior to the start of each California two-year legislative session titled “Plan California”. The Platform outlines positions on priority issues on behalf of the planning profession broadly. The Platform is designed to be flexible enough to address the unanticipated issues that inevitably arise during the legislative session. The Platform serves as the guiding document for the Chapter’s lobbying efforts in Sacramento and for advocacy positions taken by the Chapter on legislative matters.
The Chapter has an independent contract lobbyist that represents the Chapter at the state level and an elected VP of Policy and Legislation that serves on the Board to lead statewide APA California advocacy efforts.
If you have questions about the Chapter’s advocacy efforts please contact the current VP of Policy and Legislation at [email protected].
APA California Section Level Advocacy
APA California Sections can also engage in advocacy at the local level. The Platform is also intended as the framework for local advocacy efforts by the Sections. While the Chapter does not take positions or advocate for or against local planning issues, that does not preclude individual Sections from getting involved in such issues consistent with the Platform and Chapter advocacy efforts.
Section level advocacy on Statewide legislation that is consistent with the official Chapter position is encouraged. On issues where the Chapter has not taken a position, Section advocacy is permitted, provided that positions are consistent with the Plan California Platform available here.
For state legislation, regulations or ballot initiatives, please contact the following Board members and Chapter Lobbyist to ensure Section advocacy plans are consistent with the Chapter before conducting local activities and taking policy/legislative positions:
- VP of Policy and Legislation
- Chapter President
- Chapter Lobbyist
Links to Other Groups and Associations:
- California State Association of Counties (CSAC)
- League of Cities
- Planning & Conservation League (PCL)
- California Association of Councils of Governments
- Sierra Club California
- Association of Environmental Professionals (AEP)
- Great Valley Center
- California Building Industry Association (CBIA)
- California State Legislature
- Consumer Services& Housing Agency
- California Air Resources Board (CARB)
- California Environmental Resources Evaluation System (CERES)
- California Department of Transportation – Caltrans
- California Housing and Community Development Department (HCD)
- Office of Planning & Research (OPR)